People have been heating their homes with some form of fire for a very long time. We’ve been around a long time too! Chim-Chiminey Sweepers started serving the Rogue Valley in 1979.
The past owner, Mike Kohn, started working as a chimney sweep in 1984 and bought the business at the end of that year. Throughout the early 1990s, the sweep business sold wood stoves to many customers without a show room. In 1996, when a spill off a roof gave Mike some spare time, he used it to organize and open up the retail showroom, Home Comfort Hearth & Patio in Grants Pass. In 2003, a second showroom opened in Phoenix Oregon.
In May of 2020, Mike passed away after a battle with cancer. Longtime employees, Brian and Lisa Stivers, purchased Home Comfort and Chim-Chiminey Sweepers from Mike’s estate.
Lisa started in the hearth industry in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1999 as an Installer, technician and sales person. In 2002, she moved to Southern Oregon to work for Mike at Home Comfort as his pellet stove technician and after the new store opened in 2003, she worked at sales and service for many years; finally becoming the sales and service manager until Mikes passing when she took over as one of the owners.
Now, as one of the owners, Lisa has many years of experience to bring great service and integrity to the Rogue Valley. You may see Lisa in the store when you come to shop or it could be her you see at your in-home estimate; she wears many hats as an owner.
Brian started for Chim-Chiminey Sweepers in 2005, as a Chimney Sweep. After hard work and dedication, Brian went on to pass the Chimney Sweep Certification testing and became a Certified Chimney Inspector.
Brian wore many hats during his time as an employee of Home Comfort and Chim-Chiminey Sweepers, training to be a technician of pellet and gas units and also becoming an installer. Now, as one of the owners, Brian has many years of experience in the hearth industry. He can’t wait to be a part of making customers warm and happy. You may see Brian in your home sweeping your chimney, or at your in-home estimate, and you could even see him at your house during your installation. He still wears many hats as an owner.
Brian and Lisa met at Home Comfort, eventually fell in love and married. At their wedding, the happy couple and their family danced down the aisle to Mary Poppin’s Chim-Chiminey song and shook the hands of all the guests for good luck from a chimney sweep.
Experience counts and we have lots. Our company’s eight regular employees have 104 years of hearth experience among them. Maybe we haven’t seen it all, but we’ve seen quite a bit of what our customers throw at us. That knowledge helps us answer your questions, understand installation challenges and solve many problems. After all, you want people in your home who understand the operation and safety issues of any wood, gas, pellet or electric stove or fireplace.
Education & Certification
Education is a continuing process. Every year we attend workshops, conferences and conventions that show us the latest products and teach us how to service them. Here are some noteworthy certifications our team members hold:
- National Fireplace Institute: Certified Gas Specialists
- Certification requires passing a comprehensive test of knowledge in this area.
- To remain certified, Gas Specialists must attend many workshops throughout the year.
- Oregon Chimney Sweep Association (OSCA): Certified Solid Fuel Technicians
- Certification requires classes, followed by a test. Yearly continuing education classes are also required.
- State Fire Marshall: Certified as Experts with Propane Gas
Awards & Industry Involvement
- Business of the Year by Rogue Community College’s Small Business Development Center in 1996
- Past Member on the Board of Directors of The Oregon Chimney Sweeps Association (OCSA)
- Presently serves on the Oregon Hearth Products and Barbeque Association Board (OHPBA)
- Awarded OCSA’s Top Hat Award in 1995 for outstanding service to the industry.