People have been heating their homes with some form of fire for a very long time. We’ve been around a long time too! Chim-Chiminey Sweepers started serving the Rogue Valley in 1979.
Home Comfort Hearth owner, Mike Kohn, started working as a chimney sweep in 1984 and bought the business at the end of that year.
Throughout the early 1990s, the sweep business sold wood stoves to many customers without a show room. In 1996, when a spill off a roof gave Mike some spare time, he used it to organize and open up the retail showroom, Home Comfort Hearth & Patio in Grants Pass. In 2003, a second showroom opened in Phoenix.
At Home Comfort Hearth & Patio and Chim-Chiminey Sweepers we attribute our longevity to consideration for our customers, honesty, sincerity, accumulated expertise and continued desire to learn more and do better. We find great pleasure in installing and servicing hearth products. They are the difference between a house and a home!
Experience counts and we have lots. Our company’s eight regular employees have 104 years of hearth experience among them. Maybe we haven’t seen it all, but we’ve seen quite a bit of what our customers throw at us. That knowledge helps us answer your questions, understand installation challenges and solve many problems. After all, you want people in your home who understand the operation and safety issues of any wood, gas, pellet or electric stove or fireplace.
Education & Certification
Education is a continuing process. Every year we attend workshops, conferences and conventions that show us the latest products and teach us how to service them. Here are some noteworthy certifications our team members hold:
- National Fireplace Institute: Certified Gas Specialists
- Certification requires passing a comprehensive test of knowledge in this area.
- To remain certified, Gas Specialists must attend many workshops throughout the year.
- Oregon Chimney Sweep Association (OSCA): Certified Solid Fuel Technicians
- Certification requires classes, followed by a test. Yearly continuing education classes are also required.
- State Fire Marshall: Certified as Experts with Propane Gas
Awards & Industry Involvement
- Business of the Year by Rogue Community College’s Small Business Development Center in 1996
- Past Member on the Board of Directors of The Oregon Chimney Sweeps Association (OCSA)
- Presently serves on the Oregon Hearth Products and Barbeque Association Board (OHPBA)
- Awarded OCSA’s Top Hat Award in 1995 for outstanding service to the industry.